Friday, January 28, 2011

What a Bunch of Klout!



I've heard of Klout before, but only recently have I fully created my profile on it. Here's a rundown of what this site does: it measures your overall social influence on the most popular social media sites; facebook, twitter & LinkedIn. It's super resourceful, especially when it comes to businesses, but I'm beginning to question just how...accurate this site is.

Here's my social media history:
I've been active on Facebook for 4+ years (when it was just for college students).
I've been active on Twitter for 3+ years (back when it only had a few thousand users. It now has 190 million).
I've been active on LinkedIn for...like, 2 years. But who really cares about that site? Seriously?

Those who know me, know I'm a bit of a Facebook junkie and a Twitter fanatic. With 8,000+ tweets and enough facebook posts to have content get swallowed up by new posts within hours. You would think that my Klout profile would be a little more...accurate? I'm beginning to question it, and even myself.

My Klout score is 40 (out of 100) which is kind of ridiculous, but there's several factors that play into that score, not just the number of tweets you have. But here's where it gets screwy; my "Content Analysis", which is what you post about the most, says I'm most influential in Social Media, Phoenix and Survival Horror?!



The first two I get, but I don't understand this last one, "Survival Horror"?! I looked it up, and sure enough, it's exactly what I thought it was; games/movie genre of zombie apocalypse and post nuclear disasters. Now, I've posted a few things about Fallout, and I do like Zombie movies, but I limit the tweets and posts about those things because, let's face it, it's weird. I would think that "food", "dining", "design" or something ELSE would be in that category. I even searched through my tweets (I archive them in books called "Every 3000"), I checked what I "liked" on Facebook, and the only thing I can think of is that I mentioned I liked the movie Silent Hill in my Facebook profile. Truth is, I don't even care for that movie anymore.

That being said, I deleted the Silent Hill "like" and I'm seriously questioning this Klout site. Does it really gather correct information? The score isn't what I'm concerned about, it's the content it's saying I'm posting...or is this site really true? Do I post a lot about zombies and post-nuclear warzones like in Bethesda Softworks, Fallout?

Have you created your klout profile? Do you believe it's accurate? Is it because it's geared towards business, and just get's royally confused when it comes to personal tweets & posts? Who knows.

0 comments:

Post a Comment