Monday, December 27, 2010

Love for the Magenta

I know I know, this is yet another tech-review blog post, but I couldn’t resist. I’ve been with T-Mobile for over 2 years now, which is longer than I can say for any other cell phone provider I’ve had. Over the past two years, I’ve had my ups and downs with T-Mobile, but all in all, I’ve had more ups.

In upstate New York, where I formerly lived, I wouldn’t ever imagine having T-Mobile. In the tiny town I lived in the only cell service you could get was through Verizon, but it was only one or two bars. Eventually, T-Mobile joined the cell tower that was built in town, but once you left the borders of the cow pie infested village, you completely lost service for miles.

Everything changed when I moved to the much larger city of Phoenix, Arizona. As a college student, I went for the least expensive, yet highest quality provider; T-Mobile. I purchased the current Sidekick LX that was on the market and was in pure heaven. Those who owned a Sidekick about a year ago know exactly where this story is going; into a data loss disaster.

The great Sidekick network-data-loss-epidemic of 2009 was horrendous. The main Microsoft server crashed, and since everything was backed up and stored on the “Danger OS Network”, thousands of Sidekick users lost everything on their phone (contacts, messages, emails and even photos). For days, the Sidekicks had limited service and could only make calls.

T-Mobile, being as honorable as they are, never let out the little piece of info that could have saved a ton of angry tweets; it wasn’t their fault the data was lost, it was Microsoft’s. Eventually they revealed what really happened, gave every Sidekick user a month of free data service, and eventually ended up giving $100 credits to those who never got their data back so they could switch to a new phone. I fortunately was one of those people, and moved to the Blackberry world in a snap.

Other than the Sidekick data outage (which was a nationwide epidemic), T-Mobile’s service has been great in Phoenix, and it’s pretty inexpensive too. What really wins me over as a lifetime customer is the amount of care they have for their customers.

T-Mobile’s customer support is beyond anything the other cell-phone provider’s offer. I’ve talked, seen and even experienced what the customer service is like with leading competitors, and I can honestly say that T-Mobile is the best. It’s been 2 years, but I’ve upgraded to several phones (obviously extending my contract two years from the upgrade), but I’d extend my contract ten years if I could. I’ll never rid of T-Mobile.

They have fantastic support on Twitter, which leads me to tweeting any questions I may have, instead of calling the support staff. However, the phone support is just as great. Never have I had a rude T-Mobile rep on the phone, nor have I had a problem figuring out any problems or upgrading to a new phone.

Now I have two lines, a phone line for my MyTouch Slide and a data line for my Galaxy Tab. When purchasing the Tablet, I got one heck of a deal on Black Friday, and paid half of what Spint or Verizon were asking for their Galaxy Tabs. Not to mention, the unlimited data plan is nicely priced at $39.99 for current T-Mobile customers.

As an avid Android user, I’m pretty happy with the T-Mobile line-up of Android phones. Some may argue that the line-up is filled with buggy, low-end Android devices, but that’s only partially true. They do have some lower end phones, but upgrades unfortunately are not entirely in their hands, it’s in the manufacturer’s hands. It really boils down to “you get what you pay for” most of the time, however, the higher end phones will go on sale for less than $100 within and few months, or even weeks. So make sure you do your research, and figure out what one would fit you best.

This is really a cheesy blog post of praise for T-Mobile’s great service, amazing line-up of Android phones and superior customer support. Random, I know, but I felt like they deserved some sort of praise, especially when I hear about service, support and pricing from other providers.





0 comments:

Post a Comment